CHIP, an acronym for Coronary Health Improvement Project, is an affordable, 4-week lifestyle education program with thousands of graduates worldwide. It is sponsored by local, certified leadership; is community based; and has a strong, ongoing support system. CHIP encourages a close working relationship with one's personal physician.
Through dynamic and compelling live and video presentations, CHIP provides tools and strategies for making lifestyle choices that will stick. It delivers information, inspiration and motivation.
Those who join the CHIP program experience:
- Free Information Session—An opportunity to learn about the program, ask questions, register and sign up for HeartScreen #1.
- HeartScreen #1 (Pre-Test)—Includes a review of medications, fasting lipid profile and blood sugar, lifestyle assessment, height, weight, blood pressure and a heart healthy breakfast.
- 16 Video-CHIP Lectures—Classes meet four days a week for four weeks. Dr. Hans Diehl is the dynamic lecturer in this compelling video series complete with superb graphics, illustrations, and humorous stories. Local presentations provide for live interaction, heart-healthy recipe demonstrations with samples, and lots of fun. Participants receive a textbook, workbook, notebook, CHIP bag and water bottle. Here is a list of lecture topics during the 4-week program.
- Applied Nutrition Workshop and Shopping Tour (optional)—Teaches valuable grocery shopping and cooking skills.
- HeartScreen #2 (Post-Test)—Measures the changes in lifestyle, clinical outcomes, and medications over the 30-day period.
- Graduation—A celebration of progress with a special meal, diploma, CHIP pin and kitchen knife.
- Alumni Organization—Meets on a regular basis for learning, inspiration and encouragement.